When you buy a new house, the first question that arises in mind is which type of bulb should be used? Gone are the days when bulbs and tube lights were just used to have enough light in the house. Now, there are different kinds of bulbs emitting a different color of lights. Lights in the house are expected to enhance the ‘look and feel’ of the house. Other factors can play a role when choosing a bulb. Some of the prominent elements are as follows:
Type of bulb: Basically, there are three types of bulbs which are used most often in our day-to-day lives. They are the CFL (Compact Fluorescent lamp), Halogens and LEDs (Light Emitting Diode). LED is the best out there right now. They have the best energy consumption as well as the length of life.
Color temperature: Many people don’t understand the Kelvin scale. That’s the color temperature of the light. Some people know they want bright white because some can see better. Others think they want warm white because the bright light “hurts” their eyes. Interior decorators will tell you that you want warm white light should be used in living areas. Bright white lights should be used in work areas. With warm light, you must add more lights to see well. With bright light, you can have fewer lights to meet your lighting needs. LED light bulbs come in a full range of color temperatures. Different areas of the house need different kinds of bulbs. An office and kitchen will need bulbs that have bright light. The bedroom and living room should have bulbs with a warmer color and a lower level of brightness.
- Cost: Cost-wise LED’s are cheaper as compared to CFL and Halogens. The cost of bulbs differs from the wattage. But, when the longevity factor of the bulb, the price of LED bulbs is quite low. An LED bulb can last anywhere from 20,000 to 50,000 hours. This is longer than any other kind of bulb which is available in the market.
- Life Expectancy: All bulbs have a different kind of life expectancy. LED bulbs have the best life expectancy. They exceed CFL, Halogen and Incandescent bulbs. Bulbs have the life expectancy on the backside of it or the packaging. You need to check it.
- Mercury level in the bulb: Mercury is a dangerous element for the human body. The Mercury level in bulbs should be checked when purchasing it. If it is high, then it should be disposed of carefully.
- Colour Rendering Index (CRI): CRI reflects the true colors of different objects. How well you see the accurate red color in apples or green color in Pears. Incandescent bulbs and Halogen have higher CRI above 90 whereas LEDs have CRI in the 80’s range. So after evaluating all the pros and cons, you can select the bulb.
- Fixtures: You need to decide on how you are going to select those bulbs. Some of the bulbs can be directly mounted on the ceiling. If you want to enhance the look of your house, then you can use recessed lights. They look attractive and can be placed in most rooms of your home. You can use Pendant lights and chandeliers to make your living room, entry or dining area look more attractive. If you have a habit of reading at night before sleeping, then you can put a table lamp beside the bed.
- Brand: Finally, you should always go for a brand which has got an excellent reputation in the market. Some popular brands also give a warranty on their products.
The most cost-effective investment for homeowners is to replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Here is a fantastic statistic. You can save $75 a year if you replace the five most frequently used lights with energy-efficient bulbs.
- Typically use between 25%-80% less energy than traditional incandescents
- Will last 3-25 times longer.
- The electricity used by an incandescent bulb costs 5 to 10 times the original purchase price of the bulb.
- The adoption of LED bulbs has saved hundreds of millions of tons of greenhouse gases.
The initial price is more than traditional incandescents (but dropping fast). These bulbs make up for your investment by costing less to operate. The savings over the life of the bulb far exceeds your initial extra cost. This combined with the longevity of the bulbs makes your choice a no-brainer. Redhawk Murrieta Electricians are the electrician near me.